Vitamin C , also known as ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin with direct antioxidant properties. The biggest benefit is that the excellent antioxidant capacity protects the body and also plays an important role in helping the body to function normally.
Vitamin C efficacy:
- Antioxidant effect delays skin aging, improves anti-ultraviolet ability, and restores melanin.
- It can increase the synthesis of collagen, strengthen and promote the structure of collagen, achieve the effects of reducing wrinkles, maintaining skin elasticity and accelerating wound healing.
- Participate in L-Carnitine transport fat into mitochondria for energy metabolism.
- Promotes the growth of connective tissue, bones and teeth in the body.
- Prevent disease, vitamin C helps reduce the incidence of cardiovascular disease and other chronic diseases.
- Helps the body absorb iron and other metal ions, and improves the efficiency of iron absorption from plant sources.
- As an enzyme coenzyme, it helps enzymes to function normally.
- Involved in the synthesis of chemical substances in the body, such as neurotransmitters, cholesterol and hormones.
How much vitamin C should I eat?
Taiwan's Ministry of Health and Welfare recommends 60-80 mg for children, 100-2,000 mg for adolescents and adults. It is not recommended to self-administer high doses of vitamin C without medical evaluation.
Ingestion of high doses of vitamin C may cause the following symptoms:
- Gastrointestinal problems such as abdominal cramps
Who Needs Vitamin C Supplementation?
- Picky eaters/takeaways: People who cannot eat normally, fail to take in natural fruits and vegetables, and lack balanced nutrition.
- Smokers: A cigarette can destroy 25mg of vitamin C, so it is recommended that smokers should supplement 35mg of vitamin C every day, and it is recommended to take vitamin C from fruits and vegetables first.
- People who are stressed and easily nervous: When people are nervous, they need to release enough adrenaline to resist stress, and the secretion of adrenaline needs the assistance of vitamin C, so when they are nervous, the consumption of vitamin C will be accelerated.
- People who live in cities or have pollution sources: Carbon monoxide or heavy metals can destroy vitamin C and reduce the concentration of vitamin C in the blood.
- Women who are using birth control pills: Birth control pills can block the effects of vitamin C, vitamin B6, B12 and folic acid, so they need to be supplemented in moderation.
How to eat vitamin CVitamin C mainly comes from vegetables and fruits. The fresher the fruits and vegetables, the higher the vitamin C content. It is worth noting that vitamin C is extremely soluble in water, not heat-resistant and easily oxidized, and boiling for a long time will make the vitamins in fruits and vegetables
Vitamin C is lost, so it is recommended to use cold salad or quick frying to preserve more vitamin C when cooking.
- Do not take vitamin C on an empty stomach: vitamins are water-soluble and have a relatively small molecular structure, which is easily absorbed by the body. However, if you take vitamin C on an empty stomach, it will cause a surge in blood concentration and be easier to excrete.
- Take it twice for breakfast and dinner: It is recommended to take vitamin C in two doses, one for breakfast and another for dinner, which helps to maintain the concentration of vitamin C in the blood throughout the day.
- Take it once a day before going to bed: For busy office workers and students, if taking vitamin C twice is easy to forget, you can try taking it every day before going to bed. When sleeping, because the kidney metabolism will slow down, vitamin C is easier to retain in the body, and the blood concentration will remain relatively high. Therefore, supplementing vitamin C before going to bed can also achieve the same effect.
Rich in antioxidant vitamin C, it can promote collagen production and wound healing.
Peptide-grade collagen: 5,000 Da small molecules from a single fish species are most suitable for human body absorption.
Acerola : It has the highest vitamin C content among all fruit tree species! It can help wounds heal, promote the growth of connective tissue, bones and teeth, and has anti-oxidation effects. It can also promote the absorption of iron and protect the appearance!
Rose Petal Extraction : Wild rose petals are heated and extracted and then spray-dried to make powder. Obtained a Japanese beauty patent, it contains rose polyphenols, enhances radiance and care, and helps to maintain beauty.
Is there any contraindication for vitamin C? What should I pay attention to?
Although there are many benefits of taking vitamin C , it is not suitable for everyone. The following safety precautions are for reference:
- Vitamin C speeds up iron absorption, so people with thalassemia, siderosis, or sickle cell-related diseases need to discuss it with a medical professional before supplementing.
- High doses of vitamin C may cause acute hemolytic anemia in favism patients.
- Some studies have shown that too much vitamin C may increase the risk of stones. It is recommended that people with stone-related diseases should pay attention to their intake. In addition, drinking plenty of water and reducing the intake of oxalic acid in the diet are very necessary.
- Vitamin C may inhibit the function of certain medications, such as chemotherapy drugs, protease inhibitors, and anticoagulants.
Is vitamin C supplementation useful for vaccinations and colds?
Vitamin C is an important nutrient for maintaining the function of the immune system. Vitamin C can maintain the integrity of the mucosal barrier of epithelial cells and remove a large number of free radicals generated during immune reactions. It is recommended to take it from the diet first, and then supplement vitamin C if it is insufficient.
After COVID-19 infection, vitamin C can be supplemented appropriately to help maintain the function of the immune system, but it cannot be used as a treatment. After being infected, it is still necessary to follow the doctor's advice and take oral medicine as the main treatment if necessary.
- When to eat group B? B group efficacy, side effects, B group food list- Commonhealth Magazine (commonhealth.com.tw)
- Vitamin C : Uses, Efficacy, Potential Side Effects and Precautions - Dr. Hello (helloyishi.com.tw)
- Ministry of Health and Welfare National Health Administration - Eat more fruit and less candy, fruit juice is invalid (hpa.gov.tw)
- Eat vitamin C but see no whitening effect? It turned out to be eating at the wrong time (worldgymtaiwan.com)
- Can vitamin C really whiten and anti-aging? Nutritionist analyzes vitamin C skin maintenance effect-Heho Health
- Whitening and blemishes rely on it? The holy beauty product "Vitamin C " is taken orally for external use, brightens the water- Doctor Hello (helloyishi.com.tw)
- Have you heard of "L-carnitine"? Does this so-called holy product for weight loss really work? - Heho Health